Submissions for 2018 have now closed. Thank you!
2018 Composition Description
The 2018 Bassoon Chamber Music Composition Competition (BCMCC) is a special competition open exclusively to female composers. Submitted works may be written for bassoon alone, or bassoon with piano. The compositions may be single movement or multi-movement, and must be between 5 and 8 minutes in total duration.
The winning piece of the BCMCC 2018 Composition Competition will also be a required piece for the prestigious 2019 Meg Quigley Vivaldi Competition (more details below).
2018 Competition Timeline
August 1, 2017: Competition Announced
November 1st: Submissions online open
Dec. 15, 2017: Submissions online close
February 1, 2018: Winner announced
May 1, 2018: Published winning work is available to the public for sale
2018 BCMCC PRIZES
The composer of each submitted work will receive comments from the adjudicating panel of professional musicians.
One work will be chosen as the winner of the 2018 BCMCC.
Up to two works may receive an Honorable Mention prize.
The 2018 Winning Composition will receive the following prizes:
· Workshopping of the piece via email, Skype, Google Hangout, and/or some other means of communication.
· The name of the work and bio of the composer will be listed on the BCMCC website.
· Publication of the work through Imagine Music Publishing: The publishing agreement for the winning piece will be worked out between Imagine and the winning composer, including royalties earned from each score sold to be paid semi-annually. The piece will be available for sale by May 1, 2018.
The winning work will also be a required piece for the prestigious 2019 Meg Quigley Vivaldi Competition:
· As a result, this winning piece will be purchased and played by young bassoonists all over the Americas.
· The work will be heard by those who attend the three-day MQVC symposium performed by women bassoon players who are citizens of the Americas (North America, Central America, South America), or who are enrolled in school in the Americas during the year prior to the competition and who are 25 years old or younger. Visit mqvc.org for more information.
· Previous MQVC’s have featured repertoire by composers HyeKyung Lee, Nancy Galbraith, Libby Larsen, Margi Griebling-Haigh, Jenni Brandon, and Katherine Hoover.
2018 Honorable Mention winners will be listed on the BCMCC website and social media. They will also be given the opportunity to include a recording of their work on the BCMCC website pending Board approval.
2018 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
· Open to female composers regardless of age or country of origin.
· A composer may submit only one entry per competition year.
· Previous winners may not compete.
· Completed applications must be received on or before December 15th, 2017 at midnight Pacific Standard Time.
· Late submissions will not be accepted.
· The submission must be a new work written within the last 5 years (2013-2017) that has not been previously published or widely performed professionally.
· The compositions may be single movement or multi-movement, and must be between 5 and 8 minutes in total duration.
· Works submitted must be for bassoon alone OR bassoon with piano.
· A performance history must be provided for works that have been previously performed.
· A $25 application fee is required
An anonymous PDF score and MIDI sound recording are part of the application process.
LIVE RECORDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
All fees submitted are non-refundable.
All decisions are final. If the judges feel it necessary, no prizes will be awarded.
Additional terms and conditions apply, as outlined below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The composition I am submitting for the BCMCC was written by me and is a new work written within the last 5 years that has not been previously published or widely performed professionally. The submitted composition cannot be published until after I have been notified by the BCMCC of the competition results (by February 2018). If I am not a finalist in the BCMCC I retain all rights to publish and perform my composition.
I grant the BCMCC the right to perform my composition in future BCMCC performances. I will work with Imagine Music Publishing to have my composition published and ready for sale by May 1st 2018.
If I am selected as a winner of the BCMCC, I agree that the BCMCC may use my name and the title of my composition in materials pertaining to the BCMCC.
Online Applications for the 2018 BCMCC will be open from November 1st, 2017 through December 15, 2017.
The BCMCC utilizes an online application process and can be found at bassooncomp.org starting November 1st, 2017. The online application process has three parts and must be completed in one sitting. You will need the following information:
1. Your basic information including:
An email address – this will be the main method of contact by the BCMCC
2. Upload the score of your composition
Scores must be submitted in a Finale or Sibelius style notation, as PDFs in 8.5 x 11 format.
All scores must be anonymous, meaning you must remove your name from all locations on the score.
Your score must be labeled lastname-bcmcc-score (example: smith-bcmcc-score.pdf)
The limit per uploaded file is 10MB.
The total of all files submitted may not exceed 20MB.
3. Upload the MIDI sound recording of your composition- LIVE RECORDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
Your recording must be labeled lastname-bcmcc-audio (example: smith-bcmcc-audio.mp3)
The limit per uploaded file is 10MB. Multiple files are accepted.
The total of all files submitted may not exceed 20MB.
NOTE: All file size limits are 10MB per file uploaded. An ENTIRE application (combination of all files uploaded) must not exceed 20MB. If your files total more than this, please contact us for an alternative submission process.
1. Tell us how you heard about the BCMCC
2. Agree to the terms and conditions (above)
3. Sign your name electronically
4. Submit your application
1. After submitting your application you will be directed to pay a $25 application fee through Stripe (web and mobile payments). If you are unable to use Stripe (some international cards are not accepted), contact the BCMCC (firstname.lastname@example.org) for an alternate method of payment.
2. Complete your BCMCC application.
After you have completed all three parts of the application process you will receive a confirmation email within 7 days. If you do not receive a confirmation email after a week of completing your application, please contact us (email@example.com)