2019 Composition Description
The 2019 Bassoon Chamber Music Composition Competition (BCMCC) is open to composers of any age, gender, or country of origin. Submitted works must be for either Bassoon Quartet OR Bassoon and string trio (violin, viola, and cello).The compositions may be single movement or multi-movement, and must be between 6 and 12 minutes in total duration.
2019 Competition Timeline
January 24th: Submissions open online through the BCMCC website
May 1st: Submissions close midnight Eastern Standard Time
May 20th: Winner announced
January, 2020: BCMCC Premiere by professional musicians at Lynn Conservatory’s New Music Festival (Boca Raton, Florida),
January 14th, 2020
2019 BCMCC PRIZES
The composer of each submitted work will receive comments from the adjudicating panel of professional musicians.
Up to two works of each instrumentation may be chosen as the winner(s) of the 2019 BCMCC.
Up to two works may receive an Honorable Mention prize.
The 2019 Winning Composition will receive the following prizes:
· Workshopping of the piece via email, Skype, Google Hangout, and/or some other means of communication.
· BCMCC Premiere by professional musicians at Lynn Conservatory’s New Music Festival (Boca Raton, Florida), January 2020
· Video and Audio Recording of the BCMCC’s Premiere
· The name of the work and bio of the composer will be listed on the BCMCC website.
· Publication of the work through Imagine Music Publishing: The publishing agreement for the winning piece will be worked out between Imagine and the winning composer, including royalties earned from each score sold to be paid semi-annually.
2019 Honorable Mention winners will be listed on the BCMCC website and social media. They will also be given the opportunity to include a recording of their work on the BCMCC website pending Board approval.
2019 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
· Open to composers of any age, gender, or country of origin.
· A composer may submit only one entry per competition year.
· Previous winners may not compete.
· Completed applications must be received on or before May 1st, 2019 at midnight Eastern Standard Time.
· Late submissions will not be accepted.
· The submission must be a new work written within the last 5 years (2015-2019) that has not been previously published or
widely performed professionally.
· The compositions may be single movement or multi-movement, and must be between 6 and 12 minutes in total duration.
· Works submitted must be for either Bassoon Quartet OR Bassoon and string trio (violin, viola, and cello).
· A performance history must be provided for works that have been previously performed.
· An anonymous PDF score and MIDI sound recording are part of the application process.
· A $20 application fee is required
LIVE RECORDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
All fees submitted are non-refundable.
All decisions are final. If the judges feel it necessary, no prizes will be awarded.
Additional terms and conditions apply, as outlined below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The composition I am submitting for the BCMCC was written by me and is a new work written within the last 5 years that has not been previously published or widely performed professionally. The submitted composition cannot be published until after I have been notified by the BCMCC of the competition results (by May 20, 2019). If I am not a finalist in the BCMCC I retain all rights to publish and perform my composition.
If I am selected as a winner in the BCMCC, I grant the right to the BCMCC premiere performance of my composition to the BCMCC. If the BCMCC does not perform my work before February, 2020, I retain the right to the premiere performance thereafter. I also grant the BCMCC the right to perform my composition in future BCMCC performances. I will work with Imagine Music Publishing to have my composition published.
If I am selected as a winner of the BCMCC, I agree that the BCMCC may use my name and the title of my composition in materials pertaining to the BCMCC.
Online Applications for the 2019 BCMCC will be open from January 24th, 2019 through May 1st, 2019.
The BCMCC utilizes an online application process and can be found at bassooncomp.org starting January 24th, 2019. The online application process has three parts and must be completed in one sitting. You will need the following information:
1. Your basic information including:
An email address – this will be the main method of contact by the BCMCC
2. Upload the score of your composition
Scores must be submitted in a Finale or Sibelius style notation, as PDFs in 8.5 x 11 format.
All scores must be anonymous, meaning you must remove your name from all locations on the score.
Your score must be labeled lastname-bcmcc-score (example: smith-bcmcc-score.pdf)
The limit per uploaded file is 10MB.
The total of all files submitted may not exceed 20MB.
3. Upload the MIDI sound recording of your composition- LIVE RECORDINGS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
Your recording must be labeled lastname-bcmcc-audio (example: smith-bcmcc-audio.mp3)
The limit per uploaded file is 10MB. Multiple files are accepted.
The total of all files submitted may not exceed 20MB.
NOTE: All file size limits are 10MB per file uploaded. An ENTIRE application (combination of all files uploaded) must not exceed 20MB. If your files total more than this, please contact us for an alternative submission process.
1. Tell us how you heard about the BCMCC
2. Agree to the terms and conditions (above)
3. Sign your name electronically
4. Submit your application
1. After submitting your application you will be directed to pay a $20 application fee through Stripe (web and mobile payments). If you are unable to use Stripe (some international cards are not accepted), contact the BCMCC (email@example.com) for an alternate method of payment.
2. Complete your BCMCC application.
After you have completed all three parts of the application process you will receive a confirmation email within 7 days. If you do not receive a confirmation email after a week of completing your application, please contact us (firstname.lastname@example.org)